Posted by Tim Rogers on November 27, 2007
Posted in Calvinism • Dr. Nathan Finn | 4 Comments
Southern Baptist on both sides of the Southern Baptist isle are guilty of spreading false information. Calvinism is coming more popular among younger Southern Baptist
Common false stereotypes of Southern Baptist Calvinists
Five Myths about SB
Assumptions to guide presentation:
All SB believe the Gospel
Most mis-characterizations are based on misunderstandings or confusion
Most interested SB desire to understand Calvinism.
The best way to move the SBC forward is to accurately represent each other’s belief’s.
- Calvinism is a threat to Evangelism
1845 the first thing that the SBC did was form two Mission Boards. The leaders at that time were Calvinists. SB eschew any thology or practice that hinders evangelism 1993 SB papers began calling Calvinism the threat for evangelism.
1997 Western Recorder concedes that Calvinist are evangelistic. Estep warns SB to avoid Calvinism because it will hinder our evangelism and missions.
Dr. Finn is giving numerous examples of leaders in the convention within the past years giving statements condemning Calvinism and evangelism.
SB Calvinist have consistently gone on record that evangelism is their heart.
Dr. Lemke’s methodology is skewed for two reasons.
- Southern Baptist Calvinist are opposed to Invitation.
Invitation is an altar call. Many non-calvinist point to this as proof that
reasons Some calvinist are uncomfortable with public invitations.
- public invitation evolves into practical
- invitation system is nothing more than pragmatism
- there is no such thing as a Calvinist public invitations
- calvinist are concerned about the method.
- Calvinism is equivelant to Hyper-Calvinist
- Hyper Calvinist
- restrict the invitation to the elect
- deny the universal love of God to all people
Calvinist rejected hyper-calvinism in 1845. Convention Calvinist reject Hyper Calvinist.
- Calvinist deny human free will.
admitedly there are a number different ways to define free will.
- God saves people despite of their free will
- God does not save people who truly want to be saved because they are not of the elect.
No man is saved against his will. Nor is the will taken away. The work of the spirit of god is to work on and change the will and make individuals willing. Effectual calling is the regeneration of the sinner, thus making the will willing.
- Authentic Baptist are not Calvinist.
Estep argues that Baptist came from English Baptist.
William Bradley note that early 19th Century Baptist were Calvinist.
Founders ministries publicly sthat that they defend Baptist Principles. By this they mean Calvinist Soteriology and Baptist Ecclesiology.
To build bridges Southern Baptist must make these commitments.
- Common commitment to being Gospel centered.
- We must commit to traditional Baptist Principles. Dr. Finn just commended Dr. Bart Barber in his commitment to the 5th Century Initiative.
- We must share a mutual commitment to labor together to fulfill the Great Commission.
- Share a mutual commitment to be humble, irenic, and loving. By avoiding fighting with each other over these issues. Remain free to hold each other’s convictions.